Monday, September 20, 2010

Tashblogs and Appearances

First off, this is very much inspired by the lovely tashblog.
Credit where credit is due.

I know that I put guards up around virtually everyone. I aim to be kooky, full of smiles, and just a little bit outrageous.

I guess it's easier, because I call on genuine facets of my personality to hide others. And I see everyone do this. A person can seem to be one person with their friends, and another with their family; but neither is necessarily dishonest.

This is a skill I call on in my fiction writing, taking some characteristics, amplifying them, and hiding others. And there you have a character.

"Is the story... real?"

It is, and it isn't. Sometimes I take things somewhere else, sometimes I mesh things together that were previously separate, sometimes I introduce something entirely foreign. It's a mix between my real world experiences, and the crazed imaginings that I weave in.

I remember, in writing my novella last semester, adding in jealousy where I felt none. I also had elements of supernatural horror. I made caricatures of my worst attributes, extending them until the characters ultimately regressed due to the bonds of their own shortcomings. I know, it wasn't the most uplifting novella.

Wait, where was I?

Oh right, I was talking about how we portray ourselves. I think it would be boring just to be the one person all the time. I play with it a little. Sometimes I put on my creepy Tim Minchin shirt, and a pair of black skinny jeans - with copious eyeliner to boot - and go all moody on the train, listening to my iPod. I like creating a persona for my trips on public transport, which drops the instant I see someone I actually know.

I don't think this is lying, or dishonest. It's just a way to lose yourself for a moment, and concern yourself with someone else's problems. A breather, if you will.

I think I've contradicted myself a few times. Deal with it. I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment