Thursday, September 9, 2010

Splitting Headache

Something that's becoming increasingly frustrating is finding out that a console game has online co-op, and no local co-op. Basically, I can play through Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce with someone on the other side of the world; but playing with the person sitting next to me is off-limits.

I choose to name Dynasty Warriors simply because the entire point of buying that game (and all preceding versions) was to play local co-op. The story is pretty crap, the graphics are pretty average; but it's fun beating up armies with my boyfriend. So it was much to my dismay that while the gameplay has improved significantly in Strikeforce, local co-op was left out. And there are other culprits, too.


So my question is: What is scaring developers about split-screen?

It's not that it isn't visually viable - I remember playing 4-way split-screen on a TV half the size of my current one. And it's an old CRT, so it's probably on the crappier side of things.

It just feels like if you want a real gaming console - I say "real" because the Wii is not really designed for the average gamer, and is in a different class (in my opinion) - you forfeit the chance to play anything co-op in person.

Yeah, yeah I know. Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur and Tekken (etc.) remain. They aren't actually co-op - you play against each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment