Friday, September 10, 2010

Election commentary

I've been listening to the radio, and reading comments on forums and news websites. I can't be sure that Labor supporters wouldn't be just as retarded in the same position, but it doesn't really matter anyway. I'm pretty openly supportive of the Greens.

On the radio, Coalition-lamenters were crying "communist" (especially in relation to the Greens, but a few times it was directed towards Labor) and a few mentioned the "death of democracy". Oddly enough, this is true democracy. Sure, it looks like a few have the power to be 'kingmakers', but each of the independents have no more real power than a Coalition MP. Or a Labor MP for that matter.

They're the "swinging voters" of the House of Representatives.

The Coalition is also crying that they won much more of the 'primary vote'. I've been hearing this since election night, and Sarah Hanson-Young's retort (to a Liberal Senator) was that if the system worked like that, the Greens should hold seventeen seats. It's not as if the Coalition won >50% of the primary vote anyway (ABC says they got 43.7%). Essentially, for me, that is a moot point.

And so, I will leave you with a quote from a lovely 4BCradio caller:
"I'm glad Julia got in, because she's the second born, so she's the better choice."

I'm just glad that I never have to listen to Oakeshott explain his decision about something ever again.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, in regards to communism - I got called a communist because I voted Labor. I was also accused of being personally responsible for Gillard getting in.
    If there's an ounce of logic there, I'm not following it.

    ReplyDelete